Friday, January 4, 2013

Learning to Love: Awareness

With the poet Dylan Thomas..I can say:
It was my sixtieth year to heaven
Woke to my hearing from Acapulco seas and neighbor bees
As the turtles pooled and the NGO priested shore set them free
While the evening beckons
With water praying and call of seagull and rook
And the knock of time on my net webbed memory
Sets Myself to set foot
That second
In the still sleeping realization that I have little time left to learn to love.
My birthday began with the water-
Birds and the birds of the winged trees flying my name
Above the hats and huts and violence..
And I rose
As the sun set on my rainy autumn
And I walked abroad in a shower of all my days.
High tide and the heron dived when I took the road
Over the border of time
And the gates Of chance.
There could I marvel my birthday away ‘fore the weather turns around.
Joy of the long dead child sang burning
with the sun.
It was my sixtieth
Year to heaven stood there then in the autumn eve
Though the town below lays leaved in blood.
O may my heart’s truth
Still be sung
On this high hill in a year’s turning.
 
2013…a new beginning, and what better way to start than with a new Project-
One hears radio and TV broadcasts on the importance of renewing landmarks and setting new goals on New Year. However, every year I do, I inevitably end up failing. Something is wrong. Reflecting upon it, I realized that this year I did not want to set goals with pre-established outcomes, limited to what I “know”. Change is impossible if you set goals where you control the variables and set the desired results. The challenge is to open up to the unknown. Risk trust, and chose rather to walk the unknown path, broadening personal scope with keener perception of the opportunities and blessings that surround us every day. Setting a personal agenda has blinded my perception to new creative and innovative ways of relating to others in synchronicity with the immediate present.
That is my PRESENT this year…to open the gifts given, and “receive” the unexpected, day by day, moment by moment, in the here and now.
With this fresh awareness I found myself walking on the beach, the last day of 2012, and unknowingly ended up in a farewell ceremony, setting turtle babies free at sunset! 
Everything seemed magical, and I started taking pictures, grasping every moment and noticing even a child´s castle in the sand, which I took to represent the bastion of peace with hope waving in its white flags.
 

1 comment: